One of the most effective ways to build a network beyond your immediate contacts is to start a professional blog on a topic of your expertise, make connections, show thought leadership and get feedback. Research has shown that while we rely on our strong ties in our everyday lives, it’s our weak ties (also called our ‘open network’) that can help the most when it comes to finding new roles. Because weak ties are farther removed, they can know about opportunities we aren’t likely to be familiar with. By identifying and reaching out to valuable connections that you don’t know as well, you can extend your open network dramatically. Get useful tips and ideas to help improve the health and wellbeing of your employees. Helping employers to support their employee’s health and wellbeing with award-winning employee healthcare. There are also difficulties that have been caused by the combination of remote working with lockdown.
Remote workers take fewer and shorter breaks and – perhaps counterintuitively – end up working longer hours than their office-based counterparts. At this point, it’s important to organise a confidential chat with your employer and chat about the ways in which you can tackle your loneliness together.
The Big Happiness Interview: Vanessa King on how to build a toolkit for happiness
Look to catch any signs of problems early, and don’t rely too heavily on face value appearances. Bloomberg recently released information on ‘getting used to working from home’ and stating ‘working from home isn’t easy’. The article also provides key factors to consider from a global perspective regarding the current pandemic. A challenge which everyone is currently facing is that you all have a different surrounding you’re now ‘isolated in’, living with various people from family, partners, friends, children as well as pets. Having virtual team building activities can make those employees who are remote feel as connected as teams in the office who see each other regularly.
- Take a step out of the house over your lunch break or in the evening once you’ve finished your day, just being around others’ presence can make all the difference.
- With the onset of the COVID-19 lockdown, networking events began to move online and there are now a host of digital conferences, seminars, webinars and other gatherings to choose from.
- It can also help to share some common ground with your co-workers too.
- Using the kitchen and common areas will help you meet new people and also hold good topics for conversation.
- A mentor could be someone in proximity in the workplace or at a professional organisation.
- Building and maintaining a social life while working from home can seem overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be that way.
A situation where every single person attending is looking to mingle with new people sounds perfect. Over the years I have gotten to know several people at design and tech events in Belfast. how to make friends when you work from home These events are great as everyone has a common interest in the subject matter and usually a desire to network. While in Germany, I hope to make real friends, not just new acquaintances.
Remote workers often have a higher level of job satisfaction than their office counterparts because they can balance their professional lives with other aspects of life that might need attention. Around 78% of workers agreed that they are just as or more productive while working from home. Working from their setting and schedule helps them be more effective. Records have shown that workers are 24% more productive and happy when they work from home at least once a month. Most companies don’t provide any provisions for the employees working from home. Only around 20-25% of companies paid or share the cost with employees for home office equipment and utilities.
- Robert Ordever, MD of OC Tanner Europe, said it was important that the office “doesn’t become redundant” as more employees allow their workforce to operate remotely.
- As well as chatting about work and sharing tips or resources, people often post job opportunities or requests for someone to help with a project.
- Not only does this save money through common infrastructures such as desks and utilities but it also offers an opportunity to meet new people and work alone while not feeling alone.